A M Brodie was the daughter of Alice Mary Rowley and Donald McLean. She was a pupil of singing teacher Mrs Gower Burns, also studying under H.M Lund and Hamilton Hodges. She married Ross Brodie in 1921, and they lived on Rangitata Island, Geraldine. they had three children. She sang at local concerts and in Christchurch, belonging to the South Canterbury British Drama Legue, Temuka Plunket Society, Rangitata Women's Institute and the South Canterbury Women's Club.
She studied at the Melbourne Conservatorium 1935-1936, singing in Sydney and Melbourne. She took the stage name of Mae Brodie, which became Madame Mae brodie after she gave concerts in Rome, Milan and Budapest. She taught singing in Auckland in 1943.
She then returned to Christchurch and kept a costume jewellery shop, as well as singing occasionally. These papers relate to her singing career and include programmes, newspaper cuttings and correspondence.